Six of Crows Review

 For this review I will be focusing on Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. She is the same author that wrote the Shadow and Bone series. This series is in the same Grishaverse, but takes place slightly after the first series. If you've watched the show you have some exposure to the characters in this book, but the show doesn't spoil anything. 


I liked the characters in this book. They are rough around the edges and violent and just mostly unfortunate people to encounter. Personally, my favourite character was Kaz. He was great. He's one of those bad boys who is only soft for his one girl. He is a tough nut to crack and I love watching his character unravel as the story progresses. 

The little band of street thugs in this book are one of those groups that you want to be apart of. You want to be cool like them and be apart of the adventure. I like the diversity in the characters' backgrounds and how they all have faults or things that truly define them as people. They have faults that are relatable to regular people even though the Grishaverse is unlike our own. Like Jesper has a gambling problem, and that is something that a lot of people in our world deal with, addiction runs rampant through our society, but that does not make him a bad person. Inej, though it is not a fault, is deeply invested in her faith and she does nothing without prayers to her saints. That is something some of us can relate to. She's not perfect and does not always follow the ideals of her Suli saints, but she tries her best and that's all she can do. These characters are not perfect. They're human, and that's one of the things I like about this book. 

Another thing I like about this book in contrast to Shadow and Bone is that this is a different kind of adventure. It's not a story about some one person doing something for the greater good, because she has no choice but to push on. This is a story that starts by motivation for money. As the book progresses the money isn't as important, but it is still very much there. It's a heist with a greater cause. It sort of reminds me of Fast and Furious, in the respect that there is a greater cause that they are helping but at the end of the day they want to do their own things with the payout reward they get for doing the impossible job. 

Overall, I liked this book a lot. I really am looking forward to reading the second, as it left on a bit of a cliffhanger. I could say a lot more about this book but I don't want to spoil the whole book for you. This book is comfortable because it's apart of that Grishaverse, the sort of YA novel that is really popular right now. I suggest you read it! You can find this book at all major retailers and libraries. 

Read and Enjoy!!!

Also! Check out this fanart I found online! I'm not sure who the artist is but I really like this picture of the characters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Is Release

The Story Keeper News

Ophelians Discussion Questions/Writing Prompts