Shadow and Bone Review

 For my second review I am going to look at Shadow and Bone, the very popular book by Leigh Bardugo. The book is one of three in the Shadow and Bone series and is now a Netflix original. 

Shadow and Bone follows a young girl named Alina who discovers that she is part of the elite race of people within her country called Grisha. She is even rarer than most Grisha, having the ability to summon the sun's light. This puts a target on her back and makes her the most desired ally in the war torn country of Ravka. 

Personally, I loved this book, and I loved the series. The book reminds me of Hunger Games meets Mortal Instruments, and I loved both of those series greatly. I found Alina to be very similar to other heroines, especially similar to the series I mentioned previously. She wants to fight for the greater good but is scared. She does it anyways, though, with the help of her many love interests. 

Speaking of her love interests...Mal. I liked Mal, though that is not always the common opinion. Some people say he is whiny, and I can understand where they are coming from. He does whine, and he says some things to Alina that he shouldn't. Yet, personally, I probably would have reacted in a similar way if I had been in his position. So, I like him. He is loyal, he is there for her, he protects her. No wonder she loves him, even if he is brooding and all that most of the time.

The Darkling on the other hand, he is portrayed as mysterious, ancient and dangerous. He takes an interest in Alina, who is the first person narrator, so when reading, you feel like the Darkling is taking a personal interest in you. Not to mention he is described as very handsome and rich and powerful. I like him in the first half of this book. I think him and Alina are great together. But then I'm not much of a fan, his behaviour is tyrannical and manipulative and I go back to loving Mal again. 

Overall, I really liked this book. I read it very quickly, and couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. It's a comfortable book if you're into the types of books like Mortal Instruments and all those. You can easily get lost in it. I read this series this summer during the pandemic, and it was a welcome distraction from the nonsense in the real world. If you're looking for a good, captivating, yet not too challenging read, this is your book. I suggest this book to anyone who will listen and I'm sure if you pick it up, you'll like it, too.

You can find this book at all major book retailers, libraries, etc! Read and Enjoy! I hope you liked this review!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Is Release

The Story Keeper News

Ophelians Discussion Questions/Writing Prompts